Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Need Help Helping!

2»

Comments

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Bluedolphin – Thanks for the link and the idea! I just signed up on freecycle; I need to see what I have to give away! I just realized I am kind of slow – I bought a digital camera a couple of months ago, and if I buy the right memory card it will do video, too! :D Still, free is better than the price of a memory card. Hmmm…either way, it looks like I have options. Thanks again!

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

angie~ That is way cool!!! I can’t wait to see the vids! I just had a funny thought… Superman dressing up in a green Superman (Rawman?) costume for the vids.

You can post a “wanted” post that you are looking for either the mem card or vid cam. We all have lots of good stuff to freecycle. It can even be something like firewood that comes from backyard trimmings, unwanted books, toys, or cloths. :)

I don’t know if you realize it, but depending on where you live and how far you are willing to travel, there might be multiple areas that freecycle covers that you could be part of. I’m signed up for the “big city” near me and my local area.

That would be awesome – he has called himself “The Raw Food Man” before when he gets in his I-want-to-make-some-raw-food mode, creating a new raw creation! Thanks for all the information!

My privilege :)

This morning, my dad got up, came into the kitchen, and started making his breakfast. He sauteed some onions and broke up some leftover chicken in it, and the rest was raw (except for balsamic vinegar). He chopped broccoli and cauliflower tiny in the Vita-Mix because he can’t chew them up well (a food processor would do the same thing, cherie03), and he cut up some avocados and mushrooms. He put everything in a bowl and I helped him make a marinade with the balsamic vinegar, olive oil, garlic, sea salt and a tiny bit of lemon juice. He poured that on his concoction and we stirred it several times and let it sit for a while, and he ate it all! Quite a change from his usual morning sausage, eggs, and maybe toast with grape jelly! :) Funny that Bluedolphin mentioned getting him into the kitchen last night, and he got himself there this morning. He has always liked to experiment in the kitchen, though, so this is great. I think it is great that I was able to go shopping for him yesterday so he now has so many vegetables and other raw ingredients to choose from! :) I told him this morning about this topic and some of the responses, and he thought it was cool. He loved it when I told him about the offer of free chips and stuff:)

It’s so cool seeing my dad eat raw vegetables by choice! He puts together some weird stuff, too, I’m glad he is starting to do some himself, because he hasn’t loved most of the stuff I have made for him :)

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

This is GREAT! Wow… he’s experimenting, that’s so important. I had another idea for transitional time – wrapping salads in nonraw tortilla wraps (at first) then eventually raw dehydrated wraps, etc.

• Angie don’t forget about mock Tuna , most people are amazed at how much it taste like the real thing. I am sure Super Man won’t go for it, but my Mother in Raw just loved it when I made it for her.

• Tuna, eh? Well there’s a tuna sandwich recipe on this site that looks delicious!!

Thanks, guys! Superman is funny. Sometimes he likes things if I don’t tell him what they are supposed to be like, and sometimes it makes him like it more if he knows it is “raw tuna” or whatever. My dad didn’t think the BLT wraps were like bacon, but he asked for some of the filling on his salad last night when he saw me eating it that way. I am always looking for new non-sweet recipes for myself, too, so the Mock Tuna will be a good thing to try anyway :) The non-raw tortillas are something I keep meaning to buy for my son, but I haven’t yet, because he just wants quesadillas and I am trying to figure out how to have all his meals be at least part raw. Good idea for now, though, for my dad, too.

Hey Superman~ I came across a person about your age talking about raw food. Check it out when you get a chance… Kids (Heather) raw food diet experence. Hope you find it useful.

• amysueamysue Raw Newbie

Hey angie! I was thinking of you and your dad this morning and I wanted to recommend the recipe for Brazilian Grawnola Breakfast. I don’t know how nuts and dried fruits work for him, but I made it this morning and it was so quick and easy, and I would think really flexible, since you’re just grinding up nuts/seeds/dried fruits in the food processor and eating it with almond milk. I substituted whatever I had on hand, I just loved the idea since I’m not one to spend much time on preparation and it’s full of fiber and filling. It seems like something he could take in the truck too for a snack or a meal if he had a separate container of nutmilk. Hope you’re all doing well.

Thanks Bluedolphin and amysue, and thanks to everyone who is concerned – I have been so happy to see y’all are still interested in what’s happening. The past week has been fairly discouraging, because my dad hasn’t liked much of the stuff I have made, and he didn’t even try the green juice I sent with him the other night because he didn’t know if it would give him the runs and he wouldn’t have a bathroom to stop at! :D Last night I finally did something different. I have made several soups, and my parents and Superman haven’t really liked any of them. So, last night, I made a tortilla soup. It had pepper jack cheese, canned black beans, blue corn tortilla chips and seasoning salt in it, but they all loved it and it was a good-tasting way for them to eat fresh veggies (carrot, tomato, avocado, cabbage, green onion and celery all raw). I decided it was batter to make some things like that for now than to keep making raw soups they wouldn’t eat and then my dad fills up by eating greasy, sugary Chinese food or potato chips, etc. I need to be super patient and just do the best I can while he learns. On a more positive note, my dad has been buying and eating a lot of fresh fruits! Woohoo!!!! Thanks for all the ideas and encouragement!

Ardesmond2 – Your BLT wraps are saving my life! The filling is soooo easy to make, is super tasty, and it lasts quite a while in the fridge. I made a big batch, and I have been putting it on my salads the last few days when I didn’t have lettuce leaves, or when I wanted a more filling salad and didn’t have time to cut up a bunch of veggies, or didn’t have the other veggies, etc. – thank you soooo much!

• amysueamysue Raw Newbie

Fruit’s good! The tortilla soup sounds like a great compromise. I may have mentioned this before – but my non-raw husband could care less about variety, if I find things he likes he’ll eat it every day happily.