what a nut!
what a nut!
I tried searching “nuts” and went through a lot of threads but couldn’t find exactly what I am trying to find…so I decided to post a question. Feel free to link me to a thread or just answer. So here goes:
1. Do you eat nuts? If not why? (I noticed there are seed-only people out there)
2. If you do, what kind do you think is the best for you?
The reason I ask is that I always thought walnuts (soaked) had the best omega 3 to 6 ratio and were the best nut for you, but I rarely see anyone use them. Is it because they don’t sprout (I haven’t started sprouting things yet)? I know almonds are good (good fat and low in fat) but because of the pasteurization issue we don’t use them because the they are so expensive where we shop. So for almond butter recipes I see in books, we use walnut butter. Let me know whatcha think….
1. Yes, I do eat nuts.
2. I don’t know yet if they are the best for me or not, right now I’m liking them and I eat them daily. I eat 10-15 soaked Walnuts with my lunch, and 10-15 soaked/de-skinned Almonds for dinner, daily.
And I get my Almonds from Indian Stores, 100% raw, dirt cheap. Sssshhhh..this is between us.
sid23—i think most of us tend to eat more nuts in the beginning to feel full. i like seeds A LOT better, esp. pumpkin right now. but if you eat them and don’t feel that way, then that’s doing what’s right for you.
i like almonds the best though, walnuts second best. i don’t like to
you can get very reasonably priced almonds here: wholesale-almonds.com they’re delicious! i’ve been eating my 10 lbs since last september and i still have a few pounds left.
tggoesraw—why are almonds from indian stores able to bypass the pasteurization law?
I wouldn’t touch an Indian store selling “raw” almonds with a ten foot pole, even if their almonds are raw. I just feel better knowing that what I’m getting is organic and from reliable sources.
1. Yes, I do eat nuts. Whenever I eat them I always be sure they are truly raw (from Real Raw Food) because I don’t digest the nuts from Sunfood or Rawguru. I always soak them whole in probiotics for two days before I use them. They are much more digestible that way than just soaking for 12 hours or less. I prefer to eat them in liquid form (i.e nut milks). I use them to make cheese, sometimes crackers, ice creams, and milks. I do not eat seeds because I cannot digest them at all. Many sources agree that grasses (cereal grasses=grains) and seeds are not meant for human consumption.
2. I use all kinds. I love macadamias and cashews and pistachios and almonds and walnuts. My top three are cashews, walnuts and almonds. I don’t really like whole almonds but I love their milks and butter. I haven’t been eating lots of walnuts for no reason, but I plan to jump back into them. Check out http://www.realrawfood.com. All of their nuts are about ten dollars a pound (including almonds) compared the the sixteen dollars a pound at RawGuru and Sunfood. Real Raw Food is a really awesome place the shop if you don’t mind the $100 minimum.
Yes I eat nuts more than seeds because they are easy to get. I have five English walnut trees and the almonds here are raw and cheap. I feel fine so to me there are no problems with it. I do not eat gluten grains of any kind as I feel they are a major contributer to weight gain and ill health.
Thanks everyone for your input!
If the almonds come from India, they wouldn’t have to be pasteurized – so far that law is only for almonds coming out of California. If I’ve read right, California almond growers & sellers of California-grown almonds (including wholesale-almonds.com) can’t sell us unpasteurized almonds anymore, unless we drive to the farm to pick them up. The law says they can’t be shipped. Some health food stores are importing almonds to bypass the pasteurization issue.
I use whatever nuts appeal to me at the time, and it changes. I use Brazil nuts when I need selenium & walnuts when I need omega 3s. My body knows what it needs, and if I have given it a big variety of foods to choose from, it tells me how to give it what it needs. I want the foods that are good for me, so if I want a nut, I eat one. :)
Yes, even if you’re buying Californian “truly raw” almonds than that is lying. Natural Zing’s Californian almonds are indeed pasteurized, otherwise what they are doing is illegal.
I buy the unheated wild Spanish almonds from Real Raw Food. They make amazing almond milk. I like to eat nuts in liquid, strained form, that way they are much more digestible for me.