Cherry Nut Bars
This is a great breakfast or snack bar – and they travel really well. I like to get fresh, organic cherries during their peak season, freeze them and then make this recipe throughout the year.
The recipe is based on one by Matt Amsden in RAWVolution, but I have changed the type of fruit (to suit my love of cherries) and the ingredient measurements (to make the bars a bit moister). Also quite good with the original mix of strawberries, blueberries and/or raspberries.
2 cup raw almonds
1 cup raw walnuts
¾ cup flax seeds
3 cup cherries
1½ cup raisins
- In a food processor, grind almonds and walnuts. Place them in a large bowl.
- Grind flax seeds to a powder (using a blender or coffee grinder) and place in a smaller bowl.
- Blend cherries to a liquid in blender, then add flax seed powder and blend again. If your blender is not high-speed, you may want to do the mixing by hand.
- Mix all ingredients together, with nuts, in large bowl.
- Spread mix evenly on 1 Teflex-lined dehydrator tray (should be about an inch thick – I have a 5-tray dehydrator and use one full tray).
- Dehydrate at 100°F for 12 hours. Flip tray over, peel off Teflex and return to dehydrator for another 12 hours.
- Once dehydrated, cut into 18 pieces (make 2 cuts horizontally and 5 cuts vertically).