Hi. I’m new to the raw diet. Just started transitioning in a few weeks ago when I found I just couldn’t stomach what I had been eating anymore.
My question is for people who have been eating raw for a while, did you have any new food sensitivity/allergy type reactions to specific foods in the raw form? If so, did this decrease over time? I posted this question on another site and just wanted to see if I got any more input here.
In my case, I found that my tongue was hurting so much after two weeks of raw food that I couldn’t stand it anymore. My throat also itched, and my stomach was starting to hurt. It felt like an allergic reaction to the food I was eating.
For the past two days, I’ve been carefully tasting all the raw vegetables and fruit in my refrigerator one at a time. I compiled two lists: one of things I can eat, and one of things that make my mouth hurt and tingle. They are the same length! I thought going raw was extreme, but now I’ve narrowed it down to a list of 15 foods. At least it makes recipe choosing easier :-\
I’m hoping this is just some sort of temporary detox reaction. I’d love to hear any stories/advice/reassurance that anyone has to give on this topic. Thanks!
I am ‘allergic’ to a lot of raw fruits, veggies and nuts. Or so I have thought for years. My symptoms included cold sores or an itchy/swollen throat depending on the food.
I have been drinking a lot of green smoothies recently, and I have been using the foods I am allergic to in them. It turns out that when I blend them, the allergy symptoms are not present, just as if I cooked them.
This has led me speculate that the reaction might be a result of poor digestion, not an allergy or sensitivity. After reading Green For Life, and the story of insufficient stomach acid in a number of SAD folks, I really wonder if these allergies will go away as I allow my body to heal and my stomach acids return to normal.